In Victoria, a broad range of services is available to support your health and wellbeing as you age.

In Victoria, a broad range of services is available to support your health and well-being as you age. From home support services and other services that help support your independence at home, to residential aged care homes, there are numerous services to support your health and well-being as you age. 

“We're very fortunate in Victoria to have an extremely comprehensive system of aged care. So people can spend a lot of time living in their own homes. There's multitude of services that can be provided from the community.”

“Human beings are meant to socialise and communicate, so it's necessary to be involved in the community, I think. I'm very interested in music. I always say when you retire, you find what you like. You know, there's something for everyone.  

So as we get older, it's important to maintain good health, and that's not just good medical health, but it's also good social health, doing the things that make you feel good.”

As we get older, we face new challenges.  So it's a good idea to discuss your plans and wishes for the future with your family or support network, and begin to plan ahead. 

The key thing is to work with the experts and services that are available, and ask questions to ensure you understand the options available to you. 

The Australian Government provides the majority of aged care services, including services to support you at home, and aged care homes or residential aged care services. My Aged Care is the national gateway for accessing these services. 

My Aged Care provides assistance with home services, such as domestic help, and if a stay in hospital is necessary, hospital staff can arrange for after-hospital or transition-care services through My Aged Care. 

There are other services to support you to live independently too. 

Personal alert systems or services can provide you with added confidence to live in your own home.  Personal alert systems notify emergency services and caregivers of an accident, such as a fall. 

The Victorian Government funds Personal Alert Victoria, a daily monitoring and emergency response service for frail, older Victorians and Victorians with disabilities. 

There are also private services that can assist you. 

Your GP can advise you and connect you with other health care professionals as needed. 

Ask your GP about the free annual health assessment for people aged 75 years and over or 55 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. 

For many people, it may become difficult to manage all their needs at home. 

At this time, residential care is often the choice. 

For care in an aged care home or residential services, My Aged Care can assist with range of services support. Note that any fees and eligibility for subsidies will be discussed and agreed upon with your service provider before the services are provided. 

You may have to pay something towards the cost of your care. 

“So residential care is, these days, very highly regulated.  So there are very stringent standards to make sure that the care you receive is outstanding. Certainly, there are some wonderful residential facilities available that provide excellent care and a loving and welcoming environment.” 

“What makes this feel like a home is, instead of living at home on your own, you’re just living with one great big family.  Benefits of that are I'm no longer lonely. The social benefits are enormous.  I'm outside doing quite a bit of work in the workshop, which helps a lot.”

“There are many things to consider in planning your future as you age. It is important to keep healthy and fit, be informed about aged care services, and plan ahead.”

To learn more about ageing and aged care services, visit My Aged Care, or call the contact centre on 1800 200 422. 

For more information, visit


Content Partner

This page has been produced in consultation with and approved by:

Last updated:

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health & Human Services shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.