Better Health Channel
  • If you are given any documents about your rights, it is a good idea to share these with your family, friends and anyone else who is helping with your care, so that they can be aware of your rights and responsibilities.
  • You should see a copy of the Charter of Care Recipients’ Rights and Responsibilities – Residential Care displayed in a public area in your aged care home, or you can ask staff for a copy.
  • The National Aged Care Advocacy Program (NACAP) provides free and confidential advocacy support and information to consumers – or potential consumers – of Australian Government subsidised home care packages and residential aged care services about their rights and responsibilities. There are nine community-based NACAP organisations operating nationally. Call the National Aged Care Advocacy line on 1800 700 600 (free call) to find a NACAP provider in your area. In Victoria, this service is provided by Elder Rights Advocacy.
  • If you are not satisfied with the care you are getting, it is a good idea to talk to your aged care provider first. If they are unable or unwilling to resolve the problem, you can call the Aged Care Complaints Scheme on 1800 550 552.

Give feedback about this page

More information

Content disclaimer

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.

Reviewed on: 14-10-2015