Better Health Channel
  • If you are unhappy with the way disability services have treated you, you have the right to complain and to have your concerns addressed.  
  • Speaking to the disability service provider involved is a good first step.
  • All Victorian registered, funded or contracted disability services are required to have processes for hearing and dealing with complaints about their organisation.
  • Anyone can make a complaint to the Disability Services Commissioner (DSC). DSC is an independent statutory body that provides advice and assistance with the resolution of complaints about disability services. You can call the Commissioner on 1800 677 342.

Give feedback about this page

More information

Content disclaimer

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.

Reviewed on: 18-09-2015