- The Commonwealth Government is responsible for the provision of residential aged care services.
- Residential aged care services are delivered by a range of providers including not-for-profit, private and public sector organisations.
- Residential aged care homes provide health and support services. This includes regulation for quality of care standards and funding under the Aged Care Act 1997.
- Many residential aged care homes have palliative care services while others have partnerships with dedicated palliative care units.
- Residential aged care homes provide continuous supported care ranging from help with daily tasks and personal care to 24-hour nursing care. respite care and palliative care services.
- Contact the Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) to apply for a place in a residential aged care home.
- Before you decide on a residential aged care home, talk to the staff about how they control the quality of their services and deal with different situations that may affect you in the future.
- To make a complaint about a residential aged care home, call the Aged Care Complaints Scheme 1800 550 552 or write to GPO Box 9848, Melbourne Victoria 3001.
Residential aged care homes
Actions for this page
This page has been produced in consultation with and approved by:
Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.