Better Health Channel
  • ‘Carer’ can mean a person who is paid or unpaid for their care role. 
  • An unpaid carer might be a partner, family member, friend or neighbour, and the arrangement could be temporary or permanent.
  • Volunteer carers look after people on a volunteer basis. Often they do not know the person they are caring for before they start caring for them. 
  • Different professional carer roles are ‘care workers’. These include aged care, attendant care, disability support, home care and personal care workers.

Give feedback about this page

More information

Content disclaimer

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.

Reviewed on: 18-10-2015