Better Health Channel
  • A wide range of support is available for older people with a disability through the Home and Community Care (HACC) and Home Care Packages programs.
  • Independent Living Centres and private companies offer a range of disability aids and equipment such as raised toilet seats, slip-resistant bathroom mats, dressing and grooming aids, jar openers and special knives and forks.
  • If you need help maintaining your home or modifying it to suit your needs, you can get support through the HACC or Home Care Packages programs.
  • Allied health professionals can help you improve your flexibility, balance and movement and give you advice on things like diet, exercise or the right way to lift, as well as possible home modifications.
  • Residential aged care homes provide both services and accommodation.
  • If you or the person you are caring for needs a break, contact Carers Victoria on 1800 052 222 to get advice and find out about local services.

Give feedback about this page

More information

Content disclaimer

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.

Reviewed on: 18-09-2015