Better Health Channel
  • Visit your general practitioner (GP) first for most healthcare problems.
  • Your GP may refer you to a specialist for a specific health problem.
  • Visit a dentist for dental care or oral health treatment.
  • An allied health professional is a trained professional, such as a physiotherapist or speech pathologist, who works as part of the healthcare team. 
  • Complementary medicine practitioners include acupuncturists and chiropractors.
  • Whatever type of doctor or health professional you consult, always make sure they are qualified and registered to practice in their health field.

Give feedback about this page

More information

Content disclaimer

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.

Reviewed on: 18-09-2015