Better Health Channel
  • In Victoria, the Department of Health oversees health emergencies.
  • The Victoria State Emergency Service (SES) responds to natural emergencies caused by floods, storms, tsunamis and earthquakes. Call 132 500.
  • Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV) responds to fires. Call triple zero (000).
  • Large-scale diseases, including widespread flu, can need an emergency response.
  • If you become aware of a chemical, biological or radiological emergency, call triple zero (000) immediately.
  • Emotional reactions are a normal response to the distress associated with an emergency. During large-scale emergencies, local councils can provide help for emotional issues.

Give feedback about this page

More information

Content disclaimer

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.

Reviewed on: 07-12-2022