• Student support services help students who have experienced trauma
  • Disability support services at your institution can provide a range of assistance
  • Special consideration ensures that special circumstances affecting your studies are taken into account
  • Your information is treated as private and confidential by your tertiary institution.

If you or someone you care for has suffered a traumatic injury as a result of an accident or incident and needs to take leave from tertiary studies, then contact the student support service at your university or TAFE for help and advice. 

Tertiary institutions have student support services for students who need support and consideration as a result of an unforeseen circumstance such as an accident or incident or for ongoing disability support needs.

Find out more about the services that are provided by contacting student services directly via your institutions website, by calling them or by visiting them on campus. 

Disability support and returning to study after major trauma

If you have a disability or mental health issue as a result of a traumatic accident or event you may be eligible to receive disability support from your tertiary institution.

You will need to provide information and documentation regarding your disability, such as information about:

  • the nature of your disability
  • whether your disability is short-term, fluctuating or permanent
  • how it affects your study
  • arrangements recommended for you by your healthcare team.

You can then register for support once you have all the required information and documentation organised.

Contact the Disability Support Services staff at your tertiary institution for advice and information on applying for support they are there to help you.

Support for carers of a student with a disability

Some tertiary institutions provide support to carers of a student with a disability.  Speak to the student adviser or visit the website to find out more about the documents and information you may need in order to apply.

Special consideration after major trauma

Special consideration is an equity measure to ensure that adverse and unforeseeable circumstances are taken into account when your result for a study task is being assessed, to reflect your true ability to perform academically.

If you meet the eligibility criteria for special consideration and have documentation to support your circumstance, such as a medical certificate, then you may be granted special consideration.

If you require a long break from study, speak to your course coordinator about deferring your studies for a period of time.

Confidentiality and privacy

Registration with Disability Support Services and discussions with disability advisers remain private and confidential. Information is not released or shared without your permission. 

Speak to a disability adviser at your tertiary institution if you wish to know more about their privacy policies.

Read more about disability rights

More information

Browse major trauma topics

The following content is displayed as Tabs. Once you have activated a link navigate to the end of the list to view its associated content. The activated link is defined as Active Tab

Rehabilitation after major trauma

Home and recovery

Physical recovery after major trauma

Mental health after major trauma

Compensation, claims and finances

Rights and responsibilities

Content Partner

This page has been produced in consultation with and approved by: Better Health Channel

Last updated: June 2017

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health & Human Services shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.