• All children need an Immunisation History Statement showing what vaccines they have received, in order to attend childcare, kindergarten and primary school in Victoria.
  • The only documentation that can be used is a current Immunisation History Statement from the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR). 

By law, parents or guardians must provide an Immunisation History Statement when you enrol your child in any childcare service, kindergarten or  primary school in Victoria.

The only documentation that can be used is a current Immunisation History Statement provided by the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR). The statement shows whether or not a child has been immunised and includes details of the vaccines they have received.

You will be asked to provide an Immunisation History Statement when your child starts school for the first time or when enrolling in a new primary school.

Opportunity to 'catch up' on missed vaccines

Obtaining an Immunisation History Statement is an excellent way to check whether your child's vaccinations are up to date. Measles, mumps, rubella, whooping cough, diphtheria, tetanus, Haemophilus influenzae type b, hepatitis B, meningococcal C disease, chickenpoxpneumococcal disease and polio are life-threatening diseases that children can catch and spread.

Your child should have received vaccines to protect against all these diseases before starting school. Your local council or GP can immunise your child to 'catch up' on any missed vaccine doses.

Your child's immunisation record

It is a legal requirement to provide an Immunisation History Statement when you enrol your child in childcare, kindergarten or primary school in Victoria. Staff will keep a copy of your child's statement on file.

If your child has not received vaccines because you do not agree to their being immunised, they will still require an Immunisation History Statement from the AIR. The statement will show their vaccinations are overdue, and will state that they are not immunised.

Homeopathic immunisation is not a recognised form of immunisation and is not acceptable under the legislation. Therefore, it cannot be listed on an Immunisation History Statement

Essential information for schools

The school principal and health authorities need to know whether or not your child has been immunised. This information will help keep children safe. If there is a disease outbreak, children who have not been immunised, can be quickly identified and excluded from school until the risk of infection has passed.

How do I obtain an Immunisation History Statement?

You will automatically receive a history statement from the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) when your child turns five years old. However, you can request a statement for children (under 14 years of age) at any time.

There are a number of ways to get an Immunisation History Statement – the quickest is by using your Medicare online account through myGov or Express Plus Medicare mobile app and printing or downloading a copy. 

If you have difficulty getting a copy via your myGov account, you can also:

  • phone the Australian Immunisation Register enquiry line on 1800 653 809 (Monday to Friday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm)
  • visit your local Medicare or Centrelink office. 

Check your child's Immunisation History Statement carefully. If you think their vaccinations are incomplete or incorrect, contact your immunisation providerDon’t forget to keep your address and personal details up to date too.

Families who do not hold a Medicare Card must call the AIR to request an Immunisation History Statement.

A Translating and Interpreting Service is available by calling 131 450, Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:45pm.

Give the Immunisation History Statement to staff

When you enrol your child in a Victorian childcare, kindergarten or primary school, you must give the staff your child's Immunisation History Statement for them to keep on file.

This includes all early childhood education and care services  long day care, occasional care and family day care.

Immunisation and HALO

The immunisations we may need are decided by our health, age, lifestyle and occupation. Together, these factors are referred to as HALO. Check your child's immunisation HALO using the Immunisation for Life infographic (pdf) downloadable poster. 

Where to get help

  • The Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) Tel. 1800 653 809
  • Your local government immunisation service – (visit Know Your Council to find your local government authority)

  • Your local Medicare or Centrelink office

  • Department of Health and Human Services Victoria, Immunisation Section, Tel. 1300 882 008

  • National Immunisation Infoline Tel. 1800 671 811 


More information


The following content is displayed as Tabs. Once you have activated a link navigate to the end of the list to view its associated content. The activated link is defined as Active Tab

Immunisation basics

Timing and schedules

Immunisation throughout life

A-Z of immunisations and vaccines

Content Partner

This page has been produced in consultation with and approved by: Department of Health and Human Services - RHP&R - Health Protection - Communicable Disease Prevention and Control Unit

Last updated: May 2018

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health & Human Services shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.