Medicare is a national scheme that provides free or subsidised healthcare for Australians. This includes visits to doctors, specialists, optometrists and in some cases other health professionals such as dentists.
Medicare provides free treatment and accommodation for public patients in public hospitals and may also cover part of the fees for private patients in public or private hospitals.
- Full or partial payment for many healthcare services for Australian citizens and permanent residents
- Payment of fees based on the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS)
- Additional fee support to those who incur higher-than-usual medical costs via the Medicare Safety Net
You are eligible for Medicare if you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen living in Australia, are a permanent resident, have applied for a permanent visa that is not a parent visa, have permission to work in Australia, or can prove your relationship to an Australian citizen or are covered by a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with another country.
How to access
To find a Medicare service centre near you, enter your postcode or suburb below.
- Call 132 011
- Visit the Medicare website
- Email Medicare
- Download the Express Plus app
The National Relay Service is available to help callers with a hearing or speech impairment.
- TTY users, call 133 677, then ask for 1300 00 3224
- Speak and Listen users, call 1300 555 727 then ask for 1300 00 3224
- Internet relay users, connect to the National Relay Service then ask for 1300 00 3224.
The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is available (24 hours, 7 days) for callers who
speak other languages. Call 131 450.
If you would prefer to discuss your health or treatment in a language other than English, an interpreter
can be arranged for you at no cost.
Interpreter services are also available free of charge for people with a speech or hearing impairment.
Contact your local Medicare service centre for opening hours.
The Medicare telephone service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Medicare rebates vary depending on the type of healthcare received. Contact Medicare if you would like more information about cost.