Be a Soapy Hero!
Actions for this page
Hand hygiene for better health in schools
- The creation of healthy habits during childhood is important to ensure lifelong healthy decisions and actions. It will also help build healthy habits into the future.
- Practise good hand hygiene – using soap and water is one of the most important ways to reduce the spread of infectious disease.
- Get kids involved with ‘Soapy Hero’ training to help keep classmates, family and friends healthy and stop the spread of dangerous infectious diseases.
Information for parents and guardians
There are a few ways to help your child stay healthy at school:
- talk to them about the importance of hand washing
- make sure they know how to wash their hands properly – use our ‘Soapy Hero’ resources to help
- check if your school provides soap in the student toilets.
Soapy Hero training steps
- WET your hands with water
- RUB soap all over your hands for as long as it takes to sing “Happy Birthday” twice
- RINSE the soap off your hands
- DRY your hands with a clean towel, paper towel or under a hand dryer.
Always wash your hands with soap and running water:
- after going to the toilet
- before and after eating
- after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose
- after touching pets and other animals
- whenever your hands look dirty.
Information for teachers
Schools can reduce teacher and student absences caused by the spread of infectious diseases by:
- providing soap in staff and student toilets
- teaching students how to wash their hands properly.
Use our resources to help teach students about how to wash their hands properly and become a ‘Soapy Hero’.