Better Health Channel
  • Child Protection, within the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing, intervenes with families where there is a significant risk of harm to a child or young person, and the parent/carer is unable or unlikely to protect the child or young person from that harm.
  • Community-based family support services may be able to help families having difficulties.
  • A report to Child Protection needs to occur when the risk to children is significant.
  • Some professionals are legally obliged to report to the Child Protection Service if they encounter abuse in the course of their work.
  • If you are concerned about a child’s welfare you can voluntarily make a report to Child Protection or a referral to a family support service.

Give feedback about this page

More information

Content disclaimer

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.

Reviewed on: 15-12-2022