Better Health Channel


Aged Care Assessment Services (ACAS) provide teams who help frail older people and their carers to work out what kind of care will best meet their needs. This might be help at home (such as a walking frame, nursing care or help with meals or home maintenance) or moving into an aged care facility. These teams can include healthcare professionals such as doctors, nurses, social workers and physiotherapists.

Services provided

  • Conduct medically-based assessments for those needing help at home or placement into a residential aged care facility


Available to all frail older people.
People aged under 65 years will usually require an assessment for eligibility for Disability Services first.

How to access

Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422

Visit My Aged CareExternal Link

The National Relay Service (NRS)External Link is available to help callers who are d/Deaf, or find it hard to hear or speak to hearing people on the phone.

The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National)External Link is available (24 hours, 7 days) for callers who speak other languages. Call 131 450.


  • ACAS assessments are free.
  • Calls to My Aged Care are free from landlines.
  • Calls from mobile phones may be charged at a higher rate.


  • You will not need an ACAS assessment to access aged care services that are not subsidised by the government.


  • For an older person to access Commonwealth funded residential aged care, residential respite care and home care packages they must first be assessed as eligible by an ACAS.
  • This service is called an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) outside of Victoria.