A gastroenterologist is a physician who treats diseases and conditions related to the digestive system and intestines such as inflammatory bowel disease, coeliac disease, irritable bowel syndrome and gastro-oesophageal disease.
- Stomach and intestinal treatments
You need a referral from a doctor to see a gastroenterologist.
How to access
Ask your doctor about how to make an appointment with your gastroenterologist.
The cost of gastroenterology services varies depending on the provider. Contact the service before
you attend if you would like more information about cost.
RegulationAustralian Health Practitioner Agency (AHPRA).
RegistrationGastroenterologists must be registered through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency(AHPRA), with the Medical Board of Australia.
- Take results of any tests with you (such as x-rays, ultrasounds, MRIs).
- Write down a list of questions to ask while you’re there.
- Health Complaints , Complaints and Information, call 1300 582 113
- Complaints about health , Department of Health, State Government of Victoria