Better Health Channel
  • If you are an overseas visitor and need healthcare while you are in Australia, it is important to know how the health system works and what you will have to pay for.
  • The Australian Government has Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) with many countries. Overseas visitors from these countries can access medical treatment in a public hospital. However, there are some services that are not covered, and so it is a good idea to have health insurance for your stay.
  • If you are not from one of the countries covered by an RHCA and you receive treatment in a public hospital, you will have to pay for the full cost of your care. If you have private health insurance, the insurance company may cover some of this cost.
  • Most visas require overseas visitors to hold private health insurance during their stay in Australia.
  • If you are an international student studying in Victoria, you are required to take out Overseas Student Health Cover.

Give feedback about this page

More information

Content disclaimer

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.

Reviewed on: 18-09-2015