- Foster care, respite or short term care is when carers take care of a child until the child. This may occur until the child turns 18. Children are placed in foster care as a result of a court order, or through a voluntary arrangement between the child’s parent and a foster care agency.
- Foster care families receive ongoing financial support from the Department of Human Services.
- Foster care agencies support foster carers through telephone calls, home visits, after-hours support and regular supervision sessions.
- Children placed in permanent care come through child protection services and it is not a voluntary placement. Financial assistance is available to help families cover some expenses.
- The Victorian Government’s Adoption and Permanent Care team is a good place to start for information, advice, support and referral to organisations that can help with the challenges permanent care families might face.
- Financial support from the Department of Human Services is available to help eligible parents care for a recently adopted child.
Foster care, permanent care and adoptive parent support services
Actions for this page
This page has been produced in consultation with and approved by:
Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.