Better Health Channel
  • There are many free or low-cost health services for children in Victoria.
  • As a parent, it is up to you to make decisions about your child’s healthcare. You have the right to see their medical records and also to get a second opinion from another doctor.
  • Medicare provides free or low-cost healthcare for visits to doctors, specialists, optometrists and, in some cases, other healthcare professionals such as dentists.
  • Various government programs are available that provide financial support to help Victorian families to use health services such as dental care, mental health services, maternal and child health services and disability supports.
  • There are a number of parenting helplines and websites available to Victorian families that offer information on children’s health. You can call Parentline on 13 22 89 for counselling and advice on children’s health issues. 
  • NURSE-ON-CALL is a phone service providing immediate, expert health advice from a registered nurse, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 1300 6060 24.

Give feedback about this page

More information

Content disclaimer

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.

Reviewed on: 19-10-2015