SummaryRead the full fact sheet
- Parenting is one of the most important things you will ever do. Don't cope alone.
- Many parents have concerns about parenting.
Parenting is one of the most important tasks we undertake. It doesn't always come naturally, though; parenting takes practice and patience. There are a range of support services to help parents.
Parenting services help families to raise happy, healthy children. They are available to parents with children aged 0 to 18 years. These support services are widely used by large numbers of parents.
is a telephone information, counselling and referral service. The service is available to parents of children of all ages - from birth to 18 years of age. Parentline operates between 8 am and midnight, 7 days a week, Tel. .
Parentline helps with everyday questions and concerns such as:
- resolving family conflict
- discipline issues
- sleeping problems
- improving family relationships.
Finding a Maternal and Child Health Service
Early parenting centres
Early parenting centres:
- provide free support for Victorian families with children aged from 0 to 4 years
- work in partnership with families to enhance parent-child relationships and support parents with strategies for achieving their parenting goals
- often help families in areas such as sleep and settling, child behaviour, child learning and development, and parent and child health and wellbeing
- call the on (24 hours, 7 days) or for more information visit .
Family Intervention Services
Help to manage behavioural problems
The types of behavioural problems that parenting services can help you with include:
- challenging behaviour and parental stress
- setting limits
- fighting among siblings
- disagreement between parents over the management of their children
- violence in the home.
Help with other parenting issues
Other issues that parenting services can help you with include:
- children with a chronic illness or disability
- changes in , such as divorce
- between parents and their children
- contact with other parents facing similar issues.
Many community agencies run parenting groups. Places where you may find parenting groups include:
- maternal and child health centres
- neighbourhood houses
- community health centres.