Better Health Channel


A fertility specialist is a medical professional who specialises in diagnosing and treating fertility problems, in order to help people who have been unsuccessfully trying to have a baby. Fertility specialists treat conditions associated with both male and female infertility.

Common fertility-related conditions treated by fertility specialists include ovulation problems, hormonal disorders, weight or age-related infertility, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), endometriosis, fibroids, blocked fallopian tubes, abnormal sperm production, azoospermia, fertility related to certain genetic conditions.

Services provided

  • Blood tests
  • Ultrasound scans
  • Pre-pregnancy screening tests
  • Fertility assessments
  • Fertility treatment planning
  • Fertility treatments, such as
    • Ovulation cycle tracking
    • Ovulation induction
    • Artificial insemination (AI)
    • In vitro fertilisation (IVF) treatment
    • Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) treatment
    • Time-lapse imaging
    • Preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD)
    • Fertility surgery
    • Fertility preservation
  • Assisted reproductive treatments such as surrogacy, and egg, sperm or embryo donation
  • Fertility treatment for same sex couples


You need a referral from a doctor to see a fertility specialist.

How to access

Ask your doctor about how to make an appointment with your fertility specialist.


Fertility specialist services may be partly or fully covered by Medicare.

Fertility specialist fees are covered by some private health funds, but the amount will depend on your insurance policy. Contact your insurer for more information.



Conventional healthcare


Regulated by Australian Health Practitioner Agency (AHPRA).


Fertility specialists must be registered through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), with the Medical Board of Australia.

Minimum qualifications

The minimum education requirement for a fertility specialist is a Certificate in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (CREI). This is an accredited subspecialisation which can be undertaken by Fellows of the Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (FRANZCOG).