Also called

  • doctor's office
  • medical centre
  • healthcare professional


  • The role of the Health Complaints Commissioner’s office is to help you resolve complaints about health service providers.
  • You can complain about anyone who claims to provide a health service.

The Health Complaints Commissioner is an independent health ombudsman. The role of the office is to assist health service users to resolve complaints about health service providers and improve the quality of healthcare.

You can complain about anyone who provides a health service

The Health Complaints Commissioner can accept complaints about anyone who claims to provide a health service or anyone who holds health information. This includes:

  • general medical practitioners
  • dentists
  • private and public hospitals
  • specialists
  • physiotherapists
  • nurses
  • ambulances
  • alternative therapists
  • social workers in a health setting
  • anyone else who provides a health service.

When can you make a complaint about a health service?

A complaint can be made about a health services provider who has:

  • failed to provide considerate, quality healthcare
  • denied you respect, dignity or privacy
  • failed to provide adequate information on services provided or treatments available
  • failed to allow you to make an informed choice about treatment
  • denied you access to information about your health care.

Who can make a complaint about a health service?

Complaints can be lodged by health service users (patients). If the user of the health service is unable to complain, the Commissioner can accept complaints from relatives, friends or guardians, a health service provider or anyone with sufficient interest if the user gives consent or is unable to make a complaint themselves.

How to complain about a health service

Before lodging a complaint, your first step should be to try and resolve the complaint directly with the health service provider. The Health Complaints Commissioner is not an advocacy service, but assists in mediating or conciliating complaints. If you have trouble resolving your complaint directly with the provider, they can assist you.

Complaints can be made to the Health Complaints Commissioner in writing or by telephone with an assessment officer.

Where to get help

•    Office of the Health Complaints Commissioner. Tel: 1300 582 113

More information

Browse hospitals, surgery and procedures topics

The following content is displayed as Tabs. Once you have activated a link navigate to the end of the list to view its associated content. The activated link is defined as Active Tab

Hospitals explained

Preparing for hospital or surgery

Managing a hospital stay

Recovery and discharge

Older people in hospital

Rights and responsibilities at hospital

Content Partner

This page has been produced in consultation with and approved by:

Last updated: September 2016

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health & Human Services shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.