Switchboard Victoria Inc is a community based not for profit organisation that provides a peer based, volunteer run support service for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Intersex (LGBTQI) people and their friends, families and allies.
Switchboard is the Victorian partner in the national telephone and web counselling, information and referral service Qlife. This service is for LGBTQI identifying people and those who have questions, concerns about LGBTQI issues, this includes families, friends, teachers and co-workers of LGBTQI people.
Switchboard runs the social support service for older LGBTI Victorians called Out & About. This is in partnership with the National Community Visitors Scheme.
In 2017 Switchboard is establishing a parents and friends of LGBTQI people support group and is running a project called everybody Under the Rainbow to address the needs of LGBTQI people of colour from indigenous and non-indigenous backgrounds.
- Telephone helpline
- Advice or counselling
- Help for young people
- Health information
- Out & About: LGBTI community visiting scheme
Anyone in Victoria or Tasmania
How to access
Contact the Gay and Lesbian Switchboard
- TTY users, call, then ask for 1800 184 527
- Speak and Listen users, call then ask for 1800 184 527
- Internet relay users, connect to the , then ask for 1800 184 527.
Interpreter services are also available free of charge for people with a speech or hearing impairment.
CostsCalls are free from landlines.
Calls from mobile phones may be charged at a higher rate.
- The volunteers who answer your call identify as GLBTI and will not criticise or judge you.
- Switchboard can help you with issues such as discrimination, relationships or coming out to family, friends and colleagues.
- You do not have to give your name or any identifying details.
- Call Switchboard for details of other community groups or organisations that may be useful for your situation.
- The Switchboard encourages healthcare and welfare professionals who work with GLBTI people to call for information and advice.