- To protect yourself from mosquito bites at home it is best to prevent mosquitoes from getting into your house.
- Maintain fly screens on windows, doors, vents and chimneys.
- Use insect surface sprays both inside and outside the house to kill mosquitoes.
- Use an effective mosquito repellent, containing either picaridin or diethyltoulamide (DEET) on all exposed skin.
- Remove stagnant water around the house so mosquitoes cannot breed.
- Change the water in pet drinking bowls, bird baths and vases at least once a week.
- Check and maintain rainwater tanks and water storage vessels to ensure screens are intact and limit mosquito entry.
Mosquitoes - protect your home checklist
Actions for this page
This page has been produced in consultation with and approved by:
Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.