Healthy swimming - before you hop in the pool
Swimming is a popular low impact activity that is great for improving general health and wellbeing.
While swimming is fun and a great way to stay fit and active, sometimes germs can contaminate the pool water, which can make people sick.
It’s important to remember that you share the pool water with everyone.
Follow the 5 healthy swimming steps to help keep the pool clean and stop the spread of germs.
Healthy swimming steps
- Shower and wash with soap before you swim.
- Wash your hands with soap after going to the toilet or changing a nappy.
- Change nappies in nappy areas only.
- Don’t swim if you have had diarrhoea in the past 14 days.
- Avoid swallowing pool water.
Everyone has a responsibility to keep themselves and others safe and healthy in the pool and help keep the pool clean.
More information on healthy swimming
Reviewed on: 26-04-2022