• Workers compensation insurance covers medical expenses of workers injured at work
  • WorkSafe Victoria manages the workers compensation scheme
  • To apply for compensation lodge a claim with Worksafe 

In the event of a workplace major trauma you will have prompt access to emergency healthcare services. Once your condition has been stabilised you may require further time in hospital, rehabilitation services, or further care at home. All of these services incur a cost, and at a time when you are not able to work, you may start to feel financial pressure.

If you are eligible, financial support may be available at this time via WorkCover.

Workplace health and safety governance in Victoria

In Victoria, workplace health and safety is governed by a system of laws, regulations and compliance codes which set out the responsibilities of employers and workers. WorkSafe Victoria is the key regulator of occupational health and safety (OHS) laws in Victoria.

All employers in Victoria must provide a safe and healthy workplace for their workers and contractors. Compulsory WorkCover insurance for employers is part of this provision.

Making a WorkCover claim after workplace major trauma

WorkCover insurance is compulsory for Victorian employers. Your employer is required to have insurance to cover the cost of benefits if you become injured or become ill because of your work. This means that if you are injured at work, the WorkCover insurance may cover things such as:

  • hospital costs
  • medical costs
  • rehabilitation costs
  • replacement of lost income.

Payment of these benefits to sick or injured workers is referred to as ‘workers’ compensation’. WorkSafe Victoria manages the Victorian workers' compensation system. 

So, if you have a work related injury or illness you should first tell your employer that you want to make a WorkCover claim and fill out the worker’s injury claim form.

There is information available on the WorkSafe website to help you understand the claims process.

If your injury is the result of a motor vehicle accident, you must also report the accident to the police or your claim may not be valid.

Be aware that you may need a doctor’s referral for some treatment services in order for you to make a claim through WorkSafe, and some may need to be approved by your WorkSafe Agent in advance.

Call Worksafe to ensure that you and your employer follow all the necessary processes. You can contact the WorkSafe Advisory Service on 1800 136 089 or (03) 9641 1444 or email

Financial support after death from a work-related major trauma

If a death occurs as a result of a work-related injury or illness, support is provided for partners and children in the form of lump sum and periodic pension payments, counselling for immediate family members and funeral expenses.

Read WorkSafe's, entitlements after a work-related death

More information

Browse major trauma topics

The following content is displayed as Tabs. Once you have activated a link navigate to the end of the list to view its associated content. The activated link is defined as Active Tab

Rehabilitation after major trauma

Home and recovery

Physical recovery after major trauma

Mental health after major trauma

Compensation, claims and finances

Rights and responsibilities

Content Partner

This page has been produced in consultation with and approved by:

Last updated: June 2017

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health & Human Services shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.