Better Health Channel
  • There are laws that control the adoption of children in Australia and from overseas. Current adoption law recognises that children have the right to maintain links with their past, including their culture of origin.
  • In the adoption process, the birth parents voluntarily transfer all of their parental responsibilities and rights to the adoptive parents.
  • Children placed in permanent care come through child protection services and a court order transfers parental responsibilities and rights to the permanent caregivers.
  • Foster and other out-of-home care options are temporary arrangements that may be voluntary or result from a court order.
  • Altruistic surrogacy, where only out-of-pocket pregnancy expenses are covered, is legal in Victoria. A surrogacy arrangement between an intended parent and a surrogate is not legally binding.
  • Commercial surrogacy, where a fee is involved, is not legal within Australia but is legal in some other countries.

Give feedback about this page

More information

Content disclaimer

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.

Reviewed on: 11-03-2021