Better Health Channel


The Victoria State Emergency ServiceExternal Link (VICSES) manages the emergency response to storms, floods,tsunamis and earthquakes in Victoria. The SES also helps with road rescues, search and rescue andwith major bushfire events. You can also find information about how to prepare for natural hazardsExternal Link .

Information about current emergencies is available at all times on the VICSES website.

Services provided

  • Emergency response
  • Emergency management
  • Emergency advice
  • Community education


Anyone in Victoria.

How to access

Call 132 500 for flood, storm, tsunami or earthquake emergencies, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from anywhere in Victoria.

Call 1800 226 226 for current emergency information during large-scale emergencies.

Visit Victoria State Emergency Service for:

  • current emergency information
  • information in other languages

The National Relay Service (NRS)External Link is available to help callers who are d/Deaf, or find it hard to hear or speak to hearing people on the phone.

    The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National)External Link is available (24 hours, 7 days) for callers who speak other languages. Call 131 450.


    • Cost of a local call from anywhere in Victoria.
    • Calls from mobile phones may be charged at a higher rate.


    The Victoria SES website has information to help you prepare for floods, storms, earthquakes and tsunamis.


    • For life-threatening emergencies, always call triple zero (000).
    • The 1800 226 226 line for current emergency information is only available during large-scale emergencies.
    • Victoria SES units provide road rescue in the outer suburbs of Melbourne and in Victorian regional areas.
    • Victoria SES works with local governments to develop emergency management plans, education and training.