A specialist plastic surgeon is a doctor who specialises in invasive cosmetic (aesthetic, or appearance-related) and reconstructive surgery.
- Reconstructive surgery
- Cosmetic surgery, such as:
- Wrinkle reduction
- Ear correction
- Nose surgery
- Facial implants
- Lip enhancement
- Tummy tuck
- Breast enlargement
- Breast reduction
You need a referral from a doctor to see a specialist plastic surgeon.
How to access
Go to the Australian Society of Plastic find a specialist plastic surgeon near you.
RegulationAustralian Health Practitioner Agency
RegistrationSpecialist plastic surgeons must be registered through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), with the Medical Board of Australia.
Minimum qualificationsThe minimum education requirement for a specialist plastic surgeon is Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
Shortlist at least two surgeons for your initial consultation.
- Get a full explanation of the anticipated results and think carefully about your expectations.
- Make sure that you have been fully informed about the risks of the procedure you plan to have.
- Health Complaints , Complaints and Information, call 1300 582 113
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation (AHPRA) in your state, call 1300 419 495
- Better Health Channel - Complaints about health services