safe steps is a service for women (and their children) experiencing violence and abuse from a partner or ex-partner, another family member or someone else close to them.
- Crisis support
- Risk assessment
- Safe house accommodation
- Refuge accommodation
- Outreach services
- Safety planning
- In-person support
- Information about options, rights and entitlements
- Advocacy with support services
- Telephone support and information
Available to all women and children in Australia.
How to access
Call (toll free) 1800 015 188
The National Relay Service (NRS) is available to help callers with a hearing or speech impairment. For:
- TTY users, call 1800 555 677, then ask for 1800 015 188
- Speak and Listen users, call 1800 555 727 then ask for 1800 015 188
- Internet relay users, connect to the National Relay Service, then ask for 1800 015 188.
There is an interpreting service for callers who speak other languages. Call 1800 015 188 and a staff member may be able to help, or an interpreter will be arranged for you.
safe steps will call you back with a telephone interpreter if you provide:
- your number
- your language
- when it is safe to call.
If a woman you know is unable to speak English to give safe steps this information they can have someone ring safe steps on their behalf to set up the telephone call.
24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
safe steps Family Violence Response Centre is a free service.