DescriptionA chiropractor diagnoses, treats and prevents conditions of the spine and musculoskeletal system. They use hands-on manipulation of your spine to align the muscles and skeleton of your body. Chiropractic treatment focuses on your spine, skull and pelvis. Chiropractors treat a variety of conditions such as lower back pain, sciatica, headaches and pain in the knees and shoulders. They also provide information and advice on nutrition, exercise, wellness and healthy lifestyle changes.
Learn more about chiropractic science
- Diagnosis and treatment
- Physical therapy
- Manual (hands-on) therapy
- Pain relief
- Referrals to other health professionals
Appointments can be made directly without a referral.
How to access
You are not required to have a referral to see a Chiropractor.
Your doctor or other health professional may refer you to a chiropractor.
A referral is required if you are attending under Medicare’s Chronic Disease Management .
A referral from your doctor may be needed for workers’ compensation schemes, motor accident insurance (TAC) and Department of Veterans’ Affairs requirements. If unsure, check with your chiropractor before attending your appointment.
The cost of chiropractic treatment varies depending on the treatment. Contact the clinic before you attend if you are unsure of the cost.
Chiropractic treatment is not widely covered by Medicare. It is covered for individuals who are eligible under the Chronic Disease Management (CDM) program.A referral is required.
Private health funds
Chiropractic treatment is covered by some private health funds but your coverage will depend on your insurance policy.
TAC and Department of Veterans’ Affairs
A referral from your doctor may be needed for workers’ compensation schemes, motor accident insurance (TAC) and Department of Veterans’ Affairs requirements.
SectorConventional healthcare – allied health
RegistrationCompulsory registration through the Chiropractic Board of Australia
Minimum qualificationsBachelor of Applied Science (in Chiropractic)/Bachelor of Chiropractic or Master of Clinical Chiropractic, Chiropractic or Chiropractic Science
- During your first visit, your chiropractor should ask for information about your specific health problem, as well as your general medical history.
- Chiropractors help to restore proper movement of your spine and help improve the functioning of your nervous system.
- A visit to a chiropractor normally begins with taking your case history and discussing your specific problem.
- Chiropractors often make ‘adjustments’ – applying a specific force to a joint that is not moving properly, to help it gradually regain more normal motion and function.
- Health Complaints , Complaints and Information, call 1300 582 113
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation (AHPRA) in your state, call 1300 419 495