A personal trainer is a fitness professional who helps people to identify their personal health and fitness goals, designs exercise and fitness programs, and educates and motivates people to help them to safely and effectively reach their health and fitness goals.
- Fitness assessment
- Health and fitness goal identification
- Design of tailored exercise and fitness programs
- Instruction in how to safely perform exercises
- Health and fitness progress monitoring
- Adjustment of health and fitness programs in response to changing fitness level
- Lifestyle and basic nutrition advice
Appointments with a personal trainer may be made directly.
The cost of a personal trainer varies depending on the provider. Contact the personal trainer before you attend if you would like more information about cost.
RegistrationPersonal trainers are not required to be registered with a health and fitness industry association. Personal trainers may choose to register with AUSactive (Australia’s peak health and fitness industry association) or Physical Activity Australia (fitness registration body).
Minimum qualificationsThe minimum education requirement for a registered personal trainer is a Certificate IV in Fitness, a Diploma of Fitness or an Exercise Science or Human Movement degree.
- Ask the personal trainer about their professional qualifications. They should have proof of their certification, including first aid.
- Ask the personal trainer for references and contact the referees provided.
- Find out about the personal trainer's areas of expertise to be sure that they have experience and skills in the areas that interest you. You can do this at page
- You can check if your personal trainer is registered via or (call 1300 784 467).
- Ask for proof that the personal trainer is registered with an industry association. This will signify that they are qualified and competent, hold current first aid certification, are licenced to practice as a professional personal trainer, and that their ongoing professional development is being tracked.
- Ask for proof that the personal trainer holds public liability and professional indemnity insurance.