Better Health Channel
  • If you have a disability you can get help  using public transport, like trains, trams, buses and taxis.
  • Most trains in Melbourne and V/Line train stations and trains can be used by people with wheelchairs. Some Melbourne trams are easy to use for people with a disability but some are not easy for people who have wheelchairs or scooters. Most bus services in Melbourne can be used by people who have a wheelchair.
  • If you have a disability you can apply for a free travel pass from Public Transport Victoria. If you have an assistance animal they can also travel for free.
  • There are special taxis for people who use wheelchairs. These taxis are called wheelchair accessible taxis. Some wheelchair accessible taxis are available for people who travel within Melbourne and regional areas.
  • You can apply for a disabled parking permit from your local council so you can park in disabled parks that are closer to where you need to go.
  • You might be able to get some money to help pay for travel costs. This type of help is called a mobility allowance.

Give feedback about this page

More information

Content disclaimer

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.

Reviewed on: 18-09-2015