• Intake and assessment’ services are the primary entry point into alcohol and drug treatment services.Intake and assessment services are available throughout Victoria. 
  • You can contact your local intake and assessment service directly or be referred from your local doctor or DirectLine.

 ‘Intake and assessment’ is the name of the process used to work out the best treatment path for people with alcohol or drug problems in Victoria. This service, which is available right across Victoria, screens and assesses clients and, if necessary, refers them to the most suitable treatment provider to meet their needs, taking into account their preferences.

Contacting your local intake and assessment service

In Victoria, adult non-residential alcohol and drug treatment services are provided within 16 ‘catchments’ areas across the state. There are seven catchments in rural and regional and nine catchments in metropolitan Melbourne (see the table below). Catchments are based on local government areas.

You can access an intake and catchment team via a referral from your local doctor or DirectLine (Victoria’s 24-hour alcohol and drug information telephone helpline), or you can contact them directly. Intake, screening and assessment can happen face to face, over the telephone, via the internet or by ‘outreach’ – when the service comes to you.

The role of intake and assessment

Intake and assessment conducts a detailed assessment of your treatment needs and then develops an initial treatment plan. This treatment plan goes with you when you receive treatment, if you agree for your information to be shared. This means you will not have to keeping re-telling your story.

If your treatment needs are minimal, intake and assessment might give you support to manage your treatment yourself (‘self-managed options’).  Sometimes treatment needs are more complex and might be linked to other health conditions such as mental illness.  The intake and assessment team will identify those issues and develop a treatment plan accordingly.

 Depending on what kind of treatment you need, one or more of the following services might be recommended for you:

  • counselling
  • non-residential withdrawal
  • residential withdrawal
  • therapeutic day rehabilitation
  • residential rehabilitation
  • care and recovery coordination
  • pharmacotherapy
  • youth-specific alcohol and drug services
  • Aboriginal alcohol and drug services.

To make sure you get the support you need, the intake and assessment service will make a referral to treatment services for you. If the treatment service refers you to another service, they will tell the intake and assessment service so they can update your treatment plan. This makes sure that a record of your whole treatment journey is documented so you do not ‘get lost in the system’.

Intake and assessment service providers

Following is a list of intake and assessment providers and their contact details.

Cat chment

Local government area




City of Port Phillip

City of Glen Eira

City of Bayside

City of Stonnington

City of Kingston

1800 229 263

9690 9778

Bayside Integrated Services

South East Melbourne

City of Greater Dandenong

City of Casey

Cardinia Shire

1800 142 536

South Eastern Consortium of Alcohol and Drug Agencies (SECADA)

Frankston-Mornington Peninsula

City of Frankston

Mornington Peninsula Shire

1300 665 781

Frankston and Mornington Drug and Alcohol Services (FaMDAS)

Inner East

City of Boroondara

City of Manningham

City of Whitehorse

City of Monash

1800 778 278

Eastern Consortium of

Alcohol and Drug Services


Eastern Melbourne

Shire of Yarra Ranges

City of Knox

City of Maroondah

1300 007 873

EACH SURE Consortium

Inner North,

North Melbourne,

North West Melbourne,

South West Melbourne

City of Moreland

City of Moonee Valley

City of Melbourne

City of Yarra

City of Whittlesea

City of Darebin

City of Banyule

Shire of Nillumbik

Shire of Melton

City of Brimbank

City of Hume

City of Maribyrnong

City of Hobsons Bay

City of Wyndham

1800 700 514

UnitingCare ReGen & Odyssey House Victoria:

North and West Metro Alcohol and Other Drug Service



Goulburn Valley,



Great South Coast

Shire of Bass Coast

Shire of South Gippsland

Shire of Baw Baw

Shire of Wellington

City of LaTrobe

Shire of East Gippsland

Rural City of Wodonga

Rural City of Wangaratta

Rural City of Benalla

Shire of Indigo

Shire of Towong

Shire of Mansfield

Shire of Alpine

Shire of Moira

City of Greater Shepparton

Shire of Strathbogie

Shire of Mitchell

Shire of Murrindindi

City of Ballarat

Shire of Moorabool

Shire of Golden Plains

Shire of Pyrenees

Rural City of Ararat

Shire of North Grampians

Rural City of Horsham

Shire of West Wimmera

Shire of Hindmarsh

Shire of Yarriambiack

Shire of Hepburn

Rural City of Mildura

Rural City of Swan Hill

Shire of Buloke

Shire of Gannawarra

Shire of Loddon

Shire of Campaspe

Greater City of Bendigo

Shire of Central Goldfields

Shire of Mount Alexander

Shire of Macedon Ranges

Shire of Glenelg

Shire of Southern Grampians

Shire of Moyne

City of Warrnambool

Shire of Corangamite

1300 022 760

1300 022 760

Australian Community Support Organisation (ACSO)

Australian Community Support Organisation (ACSO)


City of Greater Geelong

Shire of Colac-Otway

Shire of Surf Coast

Borough of Queenscliff

Colac area:

1300 094 187

1300 763 254

Barwon AOD Consortium


Where to get help

  • Your doctor
  • Your intake and assessment service
  • DirectLine, call 1800 888 236

More information

Alcohol and drug services topics

The following content is displayed as Tabs. Once you have activated a link navigate to the end of the list to view its associated content. The activated link is defined as Active Tab

Content Partner

This page has been produced in consultation with and approved by: Better Health Channel - (need new cp)

Last updated: September 2015

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health & Human Services shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.