Better Health Channel


A clinical haematologist is a medical professional who specialises in diagnosing, treating and managing diseases of the blood and blood-producing organs (the bone marrow, spleen and lymphoid tissues). Haematologists also specialise in transfusion medicine, and in the effect that other diseases have on the blood.

Haematologists may also work in a laboratory, studying samples of blood or bone marrow for research purposes or to make a diagnosis. Some lab-based areas of interest for haematological research include the study of:

  • blood cell and bone marrow morphology (shape and structure)
  • genetic disorders that result in blood abnormalities (haemoglobinopathies)
  • the process that causes bleeding to stop (haemostasis)
  • blood clot formation (thrombosis)
  • the transfer of blood or blood components from one person to another (transfusion medicine)
  • cancers of the blood (malignant haematology).

Some blood diseases treated by haematologist include anaemia, leukaemia, lymphoma, polycythaemia vera, haemophilia, thalassaemia and blood clotting disorders.

Services provided

  • Diagnosis, treatment and management of diseases of the blood
  • Transfusion medicine
  • Bone marrow transplantation
  • Analysis of blood tests


You need a referral from a doctor to see a haematologist.

How to access

Ask your doctor about how to make an appointment with your haematologist.


Haematologist services may be partly or fully covered by Medicare.

Haematologist fees are covered by some private health funds, but the amount will depend on your insurance policy. Contact your insurer for more information.



Conventional healthcare


Regulated by Australian Health Practitioner Agency (AHPRA).


Haematologists must be registered through the Royal Australasian College of Physicians.Haematologists must be registered through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), with the Medical Board of Australia.

Minimum qualifications

The minimum education requirement for a clinical haematologist is Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP).


Take results of any tests with you (such as CT scans and previous pathology results) as well as a list of your current medications, your Medicare card, your private health insurance card and your Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) card, if relevant.