• Help is available for younger people with disabilities, and their carers.
  • Younger people are defined as people aged less than 65 years, or Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people aged less than 50 years. 
  • Help will be provided according to your needs.
  • Ask for help when you need it, so that you continue to be as independent as possible.

The Home and Community Care Program for Younger People (HACC PYP) provides services to support younger people with disabilities, and their carers. These services help people live as independently as possible in the community. 

Younger people are defined as people aged less than 65 years, or Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people aged less than 50 years.

If you think that you (or a family member or a person you care for) might find HACC PYP services helpful, contact your local council or community health centre. They will meet with you to discuss the sort of services you need and how often you might need them. This meeting will usually be in your home. You may want a family member, friend, interpreter or advocate with you.

HACC PYP services available

You can get different types of support, depending on your particular needs.

Help around your home

HACC PYP can help with your normal chores, occasional repairs, or making daily life easier and safer through: 

  • housework – including regular or ‘spring’ cleaning and laundry
  • home maintenance – such as clearing gutters and spouts
  • minor works – such as installing grab rails and smoke alarms.

Personal, nursing and health care

Carers can assist you with many regular tasks including: 

  • personal care – such as help with mobility, showering, grooming, dressing and undressing, going to the toilet, eating, exercising and monitoring your prescribed medication
  • nursing care and therapy, and information on managing conditions such as diabetes or incontinence
  • other health services, such as occupational therapy, physiotherapy, podiatry and dietary advice.

Getting out and about

HACC PYP can help you to keep doing the things you enjoy and to stay in touch with others by: 

  • helping you shop, cook, pay bills and attend appointments
  • delivering meals and group meals to senior citizens centres or community venues
  • organising friendly visiting and group activities
  • day groups – enjoying the company of others.

A break for everyone

Respite care provides a break or an outing for you and a break for your carer through: 

  • respite in your home or in the community, whether overnight or a longer period
  • information and referral to other services.

If you have complex needs

Some people have more complex needs, which cannot be met by mainstream HACC PYP services alone. In these cases, HACC PYP services can point you to other programs that can help.

Regular HACC PYP assessments help meet your changing needs

HACC PYP staff can help you and your family or carer identify your needs, and choose the right mix of services to help you live as independently as possible. You will receive an individual care plan, which is monitored and reviewed, because your needs might change in the future.

Local councils, community health centres, and non-government organisations provide many of the services. 

If at any time you have a complaint about the program, there is a grievance process for resolving any problems.

Where to get help

  • Your local council
  • Your local community health centre

More information

Aged care services topics

The following content is displayed as Tabs. Once you have activated a link navigate to the end of the list to view its associated content. The activated link is defined as Active Tab

Assessing your needs and planning for the future

Help with living at home

Content Partner

This page has been produced in consultation with and approved by: Department of Health and Human Services - Ageing and Aged Care

Last updated: November 2018

Content on this website is provided for information purposes only. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not in any way endorse or support such therapy, service, product or treatment and is not intended to replace advice from your doctor or other registered health professional. The information and materials contained on this website are not intended to constitute a comprehensive guide concerning all aspects of the therapy, product or treatment described on the website. All users are urged to always seek advice from a registered health care professional for diagnosis and answers to their medical questions and to ascertain whether the particular therapy, service, product or treatment described on the website is suitable in their circumstances. The State of Victoria and the Department of Health & Human Services shall not bear any liability for reliance by any user on the materials contained on this website.