The Victorian Forensic Paediatric Medical Service (VFPMS) is a specialised paediatric (for children)
medical service. It provides forensic clinical examinations and assessments for children under the age
of 18 where there is suspected child abuse or neglect. A forensic examination is a way of scientifically
gathering and assessing health information which can then be used in court as evidence.
Children may be referred to VFPMS by Victoria Police or Child Protection or by a health professional.
- Evaluation of injury
- Specialist expertise for sexual abuse
- Holistic health and developmental assessments for children with complex needs
- Integrated health care (including coordinated referrals and follow up care)
- Comprehensive reports
- Participation in legal proceedings
- Statewide advice and consultation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Education and training
VFPMS provides services to children who are referred from Child Protection, Victoria Police or other health professionals.
How to access
VFPMS can be accessed at The Royal Children’s Hospital, Monash Children's Hospital or via your local regional health service.
Call 1300 66 11 42.
The National Relay Service (NRS)
is available to help callers with a hearing or speech impairment. For:
- TTY users, call 133 677, then ask for 1300 66 11 42
- Speak and Listen users, call 1300 555 727 then ask for 1300 66 11 42
- Internet relay users, connect to the National Relay Service, then ask for 1300 66 11 42.
24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
VFPMS is a free service.