DescriptionThe Victorian Disabled Persons Parking Scheme provides parking permits for people with a disability. Permits are classified as Category One and Category Two, based on the requirements of the permit holder. Disability parking permits for organisations are also available.
- Category One permits – a medical practitioner must confirm the person’s requirement for parking in a disability parking bay
- Category Two permits – a medical practitioner must confirm a person’s need for rest breaks when walking continuously
- Temporary disability parking permits
- Organisation disability parking permits
Residents can apply if they qualify as a Category One or Category Two or temporary disability applicant.
Eligible organisations transporting people with a disability can also make an application.
CostsDisabled parking permits are free to qualifying residents.
- A disability parking permit does not entitle the permit holder to free parking unless stated on the parking sign.
- A disability parking permit does not allow permit holders to park where there are red restrictive parking signs such as clearways, bus zones and ‘no parking’ areas.
- Victorian disability parking permits are recognised in all Australian states and territories.
- Each council will determine the process for reissuing lost, stolen or damaged permits.
- Permits are valid until the date of expiry.
- Councils may impose penalties for permit misuse.