Victoria Legal Aid provides free advice to people with legal problems, focusing on criminal law, family law and some civil law matters. Some of its services are available to all Victorians, while other services are offered only to people who are eligible. Victoria Legal Aid also provides education to help build knowledge in the community about legal rights and responsibilities.

Services provided

  • Free legal advice – in person, by videoconference or by phone
  • Help if you are at court without a lawyer – through the services of a ‘duty lawyer’
  • Running your case, which may include representing you in court
  • Help to resolve family disputes – through conference with a ‘family dispute resolution practitioner’ or chairperson


Victoria Legal Aid focuses on helping people who: cannot afford a private lawyer; have an intellectual disability, an acquired brain injury or mental illness; are in a psychiatric inpatient unit; are experiencing or are at risk of homelessness; are a child or young person going to the Children’s Court; cannot speak, read or write well in English; are Indigenous Australians; are at court for a family violence matter or are at risk of family violence; are in custody or facing a serious penalty.

How to access

Call 1300 792 387.

Visit one of 14 offices around Victoria.

The National Relay Service (NRS) is available to help callers with a hearing or speech impairment. For:

The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is available (24 hours, 7 days) for callers who speak other languages. Call 131 450.

An interpreter service is available to help callers who speak other languages. Call 1300 792 387 and ask for an interpreter, or call one of Victoria Legal Aid's language lines.


Monday to Friday, 9.00 am – 5.00 pm


Calls are charged at the cost of a local call.

Calls from mobile phones may be charged at a higher rate.

Victoria Legal Aid offers free information:

Free legal advice is available to eligible people. 

If you cannot afford a lawyer to run your case, you can ask if Victoria Legal Aid will pay for a lawyer to help you (which will require you to apply for a grant of legal