The Assistance with Care and Housing for the Aged (ACHA) program coordinates different types of community care services to help older people who are in insecure housing or who are homeless. The programs it coordinates are usually provided by organisations such as housing authorities, charity organisations or church groups.

Services provided

  • Help to find and move into new accommodation
  • Assistance with filling out housing application forms
  • Advice on financial and legal matters


Available to older people on low incomes who are in rental or insecure accommodation or who are already homeless

How to access

The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is available (24 hours, 7 days) for callers who speak other languages. Call 131 450.

The National Relay Service (NRS) is available to help callers with a hearing or speech impairment. For:

  • TTY users, call 133 677 then ask for 1800 200 422
  • Speak and Listen users, call 1300 555 727, then ask for 1800 200 422
  • Internet relay users, connect to the National Relay Service then ask for 1800 200 422.


Monday to Friday, 8 am – 8 pm
Saturday 10 am – 2 pm


ACHA is paid for by the Commonwealth Government, and most of the service providers do not charge fees. Even if providers do charge, you will not be denied a service that you need if you cannot pay for it.