Asparagus with smoked salmon and poached egg
Recipe highlights Serves: 2
- Good source of calcium
- Suitable to microwave
- Store covered in fridge (under 5°C)
- Dairy free
- Gluten free
- Nut free
- Email this recipe
- Add recipe to your shopping list for re-using and sharing
- 12 asparagus spears, thin, (plunge into boiling water and cook for 2- 3 minutes) then refresh in cold, preferably iced water and drain
150 g salmon, smoked
2 eggs, free-range
4 thyme, sprigs fresh
1/2 watercress or rocket, bunch (rinse well and drain)
pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon olive oil, extra virgin
1 litre water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil, extra virgin
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Rinse rocket or watercress well and drain. Place in a bowl and drizzle with approximately half the dressing. Toss through and place aside.
2. Plunge asparagus into boiling poaching liquid and cook for 2- 3 minutes.
3. Chill immediately in cold, preferably iced water and drain.
4. Arrange asparagus and salmon on serving dish – sprinkle with chopped thyme.
5. Poach eggs – ensure that they are soft in the centre.
6. Place dressed watercress or rocket on the asparagus and salmon and arrange egg on top.
7. Drizzle with dressing and season with pepper.
Notes: This dish can be prepared in the microwave. First cook the asparagus: Place in a shallow dish, sprinkle with water, cover with cling wrap and cook until tender but crisp. Next place eggs in individual ramekin dishes, prick yolks, cover dishes with cling wrap. Cook on moderate power for 60 seconds or until just set. Serve as described above.
Average quantity per Serving
Average quantity per 100g
|Total fat (g)|
|- Saturated fat (g)|
|- Polyunsaturated fat (g)|
|- Monounsaturated fat (g)|
|- Sugars (g)|
|Dietary fibre (g)|
|Niacin equivalents (mg)|
|Vitamin C (mg)|
|Total folate (ug)|
|Total vitamin A equivalents (ug)|
|Beta carotene equivalents (ug)|
(Logo links to further information)
Source: Recipe developed and tested by Adrian Richardson, 2006.
This recipe was orginally published as:
Springtime asparagus with smoked salmon and a poached egg.
Recipe publication date on: 11/14/2006
Last reviewed on: 04/07/2013